Theme Support Forum

Support Forum for Free and Premium Themes. Premium Theme Forums are Private! Please log in first to see the Premium forums

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

How to stop spam comments?

Home Forums Misc. General Forums How to stop spam comments?

aurora

subscriber

I have a question that does not apply to themes at all. You might not be able to answer, but I thought I’d ask anyway, because you’re very reliable.

My website, theupper1.com, has been getting thousands of spam comments. Do you have any idea how to prevent the spam and only allow legitimate comments to be posted?

I have adjusted the comment settings, but it doesn’t work. Some of the comments even have links to bad websites, which made my website get a malware warning.

I know this doesn’t have anything to do with themes, but if you have any idea of what do to that’d be great! Thank you for your time.

Towfiq I.

administrator

Use Akismet.

and use the anti-virus plugin to check the malware infection.

aurora

subscriber

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like exactly what I need.

I have a couple questions regarding Akismet, maybe you could help me again.

My website is hosted by BlueHost, and is somehow connected to WordPress for the theme and such. Akismet wants a WordPress account to even signup. Can I somehow get Akismet to work with my Bluehost site (that still uses wordpress)? I am willing to pay for the service, I just want to make use it’ll work before I buy it.

Towfiq I.

administrator

as far asi know, Akismet is free. I am using it on all my blogs for free.

grosset

subscriber

They are asking me API key, and I have to pay to get it.. so are you sure it’s free?

Towfiq I.

administrator

for the first site the API key is free.

aurora

subscriber

It worked! Thank you so much